Volcano Rice with Summer Veggies
Exotic Volcano rice combines with fresh, seasonal vegetables for an easy meal you can enjoy for dinner on hot summer nights. Round it out with some grilled tofu and you’ve got a complete meal!
Published Dec 31, 1969
- 1 Cup Volcano Rice
- 2 Cups Water or Vegatable Broth
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 TSP Minced Garlic
- 1 Cup Sliced Red Onion
- 1 Cup Button Mushrooms, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 Cup White cooking wine
- 1 Cup Julienne carrots (matchsticks)
- 1 Cup 2-inch green bean pieces, cut on a diagonal
- 1 TSP Vegetable grilling seasoning blend
- 1 Cup Broccoli florets
- 1 Cup Zucchini slices (1/4-inch thick, sliced on a diagonal)
- 1 Cup Summer Squash (1/4-inch thick, sliced on a diagonal)
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt (to taste)
- 1 Pinch Lemon pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan combine the rice, water and sea salt. Bring to a gentle boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for one hour. I recommend placing a heat diffuser beneath the pot while cooking the rice to prevent scorching on the bottom.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the garlic, onion and mushrooms. Sprinkle with several pinches of sea salt. Cook and stir for 5 minutes, or until the onion and mushrooms are tender. Add the cooking wine to deglaze the pan and stir in the carrots and green beans.
- Add another pinch of sea salt and the vegetable grilling seasoning blend. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Add the broccoli, zucchini, yellow summer squash and another pinch of sea salt. Cook and stir for 3 more minutes, or until all vegetables are tender but still bright in color.
- Season with sea salt and lemon pepper to taste. Serve the hot vegetables around a mound of the cooked rice.
Preparation Time is approxmiately 1 hour.
Cooking Time is approxmiately 1 hour and 10 minutes.