Though a bit time-consuming, this versatile Vegan Falafel Burger is well worth the effort and will convert even a hardcore carnivore. Serve on a bun piled high with all the fixings or make smaller patties and drizzle with the Garlicky Dill Sauce as an appetizer for a special crowd of friends, or enjoy in a wrap of pita bread. From the creative kitchen of Kris Kelly.
3 cups Lotus Foods, Organic Volcano Rice, cooked
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 can chickpeas, drained
¼ cup chickpea liquid, reserved from can, or water
½ yellow onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup cauliflower rice, about ¼ head of cauliflower, buzzed in food processor until cauliflower resembles grains of rice.
1 cup oats, buzzed in food processor of coffee grinder to create a coarse meal.
2 Tablespoons ground golden flax seeds. A coffee grinder works well for this.
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 Tablespoons ground cumin
1 Tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon high-quality sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
1. Prepare a baking sheet
2. Prepare rice according to package instructions, or use leftover rice.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
5. Using a food processor, pulse oats until a coarse meal forms.
Remove and set aside.
6. Place drained and mixed chickpeas in a food processor. Pulse 5-6 times, or until chickpeas begin to break up. (We don’t want hummus here, just slightly mashed chickpeas).
7. Using a large skillet, over medium heat, add 1 Tablespoon olive
oil, onion and celery. Sauté until slightly soft, about 3-4 minutes. Quickly add garlic, cauliflower rice and a pinch of sea salt. Stir and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
8. Using a large mixing bowl, combine cooked rice, pulsed chickpeas, sautéed onion, celery, garlic & cauliflower, ground flax seeds (or eggs), coarse oat flour, parsley, cilantro, cumin, coriander, sea salt, pepper and ¼ cup chickpea liquid from the can.
9. Mix well until combined. Clean hands work well for this step.
10. Form Hamburger-sized or 3 inch patties and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
11. Place in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove and flip patties over. Continue to cook another 10-15 minutes. Cook a little longer if making thicker burger patties.
12. For a crispier falafel, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil to a skillet
over medium heat. Add cooked patties and let them sizzle until slightly brown. Flip and repeat on the other side.
13. Serve with Garlicky Dill Sauce on burger bun, pita bread or on a bed of greens.
Vegan Dill Garlic Sauce:
1 cup soaked cashews, soaked overnight
2 Tablespoons fresh dill
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Tablespoon coconut aminos
¼ cup almond milk or water (add 1 Tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pinch sea salt
fresh cracked pepper (optional)
1. Add all ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor. Blend until creamy or desired consistency. About 5-7 minutes.
2. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Drizzle over falafel before serving.
Makes 15 – 3” patties
GF, Vegan, Soy-Free