Risalamande – Danish Holiday Pudding
By Kris Kelly
Ingredients: Serves 8
- 1 cup Lotus Foods, White Jasmine Mekong Flower Rice
- ½ cup water
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped from pod
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup blanched almonds, skins removed and chopped
- 1 whole almond, skin removed if hiding in the dish.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 Tablespoons sugar (I used 2 Tablespoons, however, if you like your whipped cream on the sweet side, feel free to add 3 Tablespoons sugar).
- splash of vanilla
- 1 bag (16 oz) dark, pitted cherries
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon kuzu added to
- 1 Tablespoon water and set aside
- Add rice, water and sea salt to a heavy-bottom pot.
- Bring to a boil, allowing rice to boil for 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups whole milk, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir well to combine as mixture heats back up to a very low boil. Stir, reduce heat to simmer and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Allow rice to simmer on low for 30-35 minutes, stirring frequently throughout the cooking time.
- TIP: The trick with this pudding is to stir frequently in order to prevent the milk from scalding and rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot. This is especially important during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- When finished, remove rice from stove and stir in chopped almonds. Add one whole almond into the pudding as well.
Tradition: The person who finds the whole almond in their bowl receives a gift.
- Whip your cream in a cold bowl with 2-3 Tablespoons organic cane sugar and a splash of vanilla.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add frozen cherries, water, a scant pinch of sea salt and maple syrup to a saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Continue to simmer until cherries begin to soften and mixture slightly thickens. Add kuzu and water mixture to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
Putting it all together:
- When rice pudding is cold, gently fold in the whipped cream.
- Divide pudding into dessert cups and top with a spoonful of Cherry Sauce.