Christmas Rice Terrine
Add this lovely rice dish to your Christmas dinner and your guests will be delighted with the flavor and pretty color!
Type of Dish Side Dish
Published Dec 23, 2015
- 1 Cup uncooked Lotus Foods Organic Jade Pearl Rice™(DO NOT rinse)
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- 1 Cup uncooked Lotus Foods Bhutan Red Rice, rinsed
- 1 3/4 Cups Water
- 3 Small Beets
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- to taste Apple cider vinegar
- 3 Normal Scallions, thinly sliced(both white and green parts)
- 1 Bunch Broccolini (or 1 1/2 cups finely chopped regular broccoli)
- to taste White Wine
- 1/2 Cup Dried cranberries
- 1 Garnish Sliced almonds and chopped parsley
- Place the Organic Jade Pearl Rice™ in a small saucepan with 1 1/2 cups of water and a pinch of sea salt. Don’t rinse it to maintain it’s lovely color and flavor infused with bamboo. Bring to boil over medium heat, uncovered. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- In a separate medium size saucepan, place the rinsed Bhutan Red Rice with 1 3/4 cups water and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to boil over medium heat, uncovered. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, for 35-40 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, peel the beets and dice them. Place them in a small saucepan with an inch of water on the bottom. Bring the water to boil, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the beets are tender. Drain the beets and add 1 teaspoon olive oil, sea salt to taste and 1 teaspoon apple cider. Toss to evenly coat and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced scallions and a pinch of sea salt. Cook and stir for several minutes. Add the broccolini, another pinch of sea salt and a splash of white wine. Cook and stir for a few minutes, then cover and cook for 3 to 4 more minutes, or until the broccolini is tender. When the Organic Jade Pearl Rice™ has finished cooking, add it to the sautéed scallions and broccolini. Stir to combine and season with additional sea salt to taste.
- Once the Bhutan Red Rice has finished cooking, add the beets and dried cranberries, and additional sea salt if desired and mix well.
- Rinse and do not dry a 1.5-quart glass loaf pan. Place the Bhutan Red Rice in the pan and firmly press down, making an even layer. Place the Organic Jade Pearl Rice™ on top and press down to make another firmly packed layer. Place a serving platter on top of the loaf pan and carefully invert. Serve garnished with almonds and parsley.