Thanksgiving Rice Pilaf
Recipe by Christine Waltermyer, author of "Natural Vegan Kitchen". This lovely pilaf will delight your Thanksgiving dinner guests with its rich flavor. They’ll never guess that it’s actually low in fat and calories!
- 1 teaspoon grape seed oil, or cooking oil of your choice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup minced carrot
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup Bhutan Red Rice
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup sliced, toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- In a medium saucepan combine the grape seed oil and water.
- Add the onions and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots and cook and stir for another 5 minutes. If the vegetables begin to stick to the pan add a small splash of water.
- Add the celery and the rice. Cook and stir for a few more minutes.
- Slowly add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, uncovered, over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Gently fold in the pecans and parsley. Serve hot.