Moroccan Stew with White Dehraduni Basmati RiceRice: Organic Traditional Dehradun White Dehraduni Basmati Rice By: Kris Kelly
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 cup Lotus Foods, Organic Traditional Dehradun White Basmati Rice, prepared according to package directions. (yields: 4 servings)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 small sweet potatoes, diced into bite-size pieces (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, diced into bite-size pieces (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon real maple syrup or can sugar
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons Moroccan Seasoning Mix (I typically use Spicely Organic)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
Optional: DIY Moroccan Seasoning instead of Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin, coriander and nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon each allspice, ground ginger and cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and potatoes. to a large skillet.
- Sauté 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and Moroccan seasoning. Continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Add fire roasted tomatoes, chickpeas, vegetable or chicken stock and sea salt & pepper.
- Cover with tight fitting lid and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer 20-25 minutes, stirring 3-4 times during cooking.
- Potatoes are fork tender when done.
- Stir in 1 Tablespoon real maple syrup and ¼ cup cilantro leaves.
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve with warm rice.