Carnaroli Dessert Risotto
- 5 cups fruit and spice broth (see below)
- 3/4 stick sweet butter
- 1/3 cup sweet wine(a California late harvest Riesling or a Rosenblum Zinfandel blend)
- 1-cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- zests of 1/2 fresh lime and 1 mandarin orange for garnish
- Fruit and Spice Broth
- 1-cup apple juice(filtered is preferred)
- 1/2 cups coconut water (from a fresh coconut) or 1/2 cup additional apple juice
- 1 3-inch piece of cinnamon bark
- 1 2-inch long strip of each: orange, lemon, and lime rind
- 2 star anise
- 5 black peppercorns and 5 white peppercorns
- 3 tea leaves each, Vietnamese Lotus Tea and Indian Black Tea
- 1/4 cup "Calamansi" Lime honey or(1/4 cup light honey and four tablespoons fresh Mexican lime juice)
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 1/2 cups spring water or filtered water
Simmer all Fruit and Broth ingredients for 15 minutes. Strain out spices and keep broth warm.
Saute rice and all zests in 2 tablespoons butter. Add sweet wine. Stir until alcohol is absorbed and start adding broth first 1 and 1/2 cups broth and the pinch of salt. Continue adding broth 3/4 cup at a time, until rice is creamy and tender but firm in the center, about 20 – 25 minutes. Finish risotto with the remaining butter and cream, and garnish with finely grated (or julienned) mandarin orange zest.
In a Khao Kiep tulipe, fresh/dried fruits and nuts can be used as garnish (toasted pine nuts, fresh lychee, etc.) finish the garnish with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.